Re: [LAD] Looking for an introduction to rt programming with a gui

From: Chris Cannam <cannam@email-addr-hidden-day-breakfast.com>
Date: Sun May 23 2010 - 23:22:03 EEST

On Sun, May 23, 2010 at 8:44 PM, Chris Cannam
<cannam@email-addr-hidden-day-breakfast.com> wrote:
> I have to say this combination of Boost plus Weird Stuff From The
> Future is no more readable to me (as a long-time C++ programmer) than
> the Clojure example.

... by which I don't mean to imply that I can't understand it
(although, with C++, there is always the possibility that I _think_ I
can understand it but am sadly mistaken because of some weird shit
happening behind the scenes). I just mean that I can't simply read
it.

This may be one really serious advantage for the everything-in-C types
-- a competent C programmer can understand any C, whereas C++ is big
enough to have many different "schools of C++" which are mutually
unintelligible without further study.

That's also the seed of its popularity, I suppose -- everyone can
write the way they like in it, and if you can't work out how to do it
properly, you can always drop back into C.

Chris