Re: [LAD] OSC Practices

From: Olivier Guilyardi <list@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jun 01 2010 - 23:43:34 EEST

On 06/01/2010 09:55 PM, Will Light wrote:
> It's interesting that you mention the Monome. There has been
> discussion about how the OSC stuff is structured and there are a few
> efforts to improve it. I went and dug up this thread:
> http://www.vidvox.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=14786 . It talks about
> how the Monome protocol is a bit non-standard and may provide a few of
> the "best practices" that you're looking for.

Thanks for this link. Indeed they seem to think about encoding the grid position
into the path.

dlublin says:
"Right now the monome sends a list of arbitrary data to "/128/press" to describe
a button at a physical location and its state.
However, it would make a lot more sense if instead it would simply send a single
value to "/128/press/x/y/", where the col and row information are encoded
directly into a unique address path- this second method would work with even the
most primitive implementation for receiving OSC values, without any need for an
API."

That makes sense to me.

Nevertheless, they seem to be missing the in/out symmetry idea, which I find
very interesting.

--
  Olivier