Re: [LAD] mailing-list problems - was: axonlib (last one)

From: Robin Gareus <robin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jun 08 2010 - 22:55:30 EEST

On 06/08/2010 09:07 PM, Chris Cannam wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 7:21 PM, ccernn <cern.th.skei@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>> hmmm, i have a reply, and a reply-to-all, but no reply-to-list
>
> Reply-to-all will work, then.
>
> Some people get cross if you reply-to-all to one of their list
> messages, because that means they may get two copies of your reply --
> one to them directly and one via the list. That does depend on their
> mailer or mail server though, because the two have identical message
> IDs and so can be handled correctly if their client is up to it.

It also depends on the settings you choose when subscribing to the list.
You can change them by visiting
  http://lists.linuxaudio.org/options/linux-audio-dev
or follow the link at the end of each list-email and use the
"unsubscribe or edit options" button there.

At the bottom of there's an option:
-=-=-=-=-
Avoid duplicate copies of messages?

When you are listed explicitly in the To: or Cc: headers of a list
message, you can opt to not receive another copy from the mailing list.
Select Yes to avoid receiving copies from the mailing list; select No to
receive copies.
-=-=-=-=-

> (I'm
> using reply-to-all now, so you'll soon find out if your client copes.
> If you're using gmail, I think it will, and you will get only a single
> copy of this.)
>
> So: reply-to-list is better if you have it, but if you don't, use reply-to-all.
>
> Chris

mmh "better" in what way?

I'm certainly not the only one with a setup where emails from the list
are moved directly into a dedicated folder which I read at convenience.
Whereas emails to me end up in the INBOX which I read more frequently.

I tend to use the 'reply-to-list' and 'reply-to-all' correspondingly:
"important replies" to-all; else to-list only.

2c,
robin