Re: [LAD] [LAA] gst123-0.1.2

From: Stefan Westerfeld <stefan@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jul 07 2010 - 11:59:30 EEST

   Hi!

On Tue, Jul 06, 2010 at 06:08:23PM -0700, Niels Mayer wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 2:43 PM, Niels Mayer <nielsmayer@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> >  Question: is there a way to disable checking for pulseaudio for each
> > new file when specifying multiple media files. e.g.: "gst123 *.ogg" ?
> > For example: do it once at application startup, or even better, a way
> > to prevent it from happening all-together via environment variable,
> > configuration, etc. Best would be some kind of environmental check so
> > that the timeout on socket needn't occur.The timeout significantly
> > slows down operation of the program even when not issuing ^C's.
>
> Answering own question:
>
> The search for audio devices is bypassed by setting the -a
> commandline parameter to the ALSA device one wants to use. I wrapped
> it in a script to use w/ emacs' dired, etc.:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> args="`/bin/ls -d $*`"
> exec gst123 -a alsa=mythcd $args >/dev/null &

The next release, gst123-0.1.3 will have a ~/.gst123rc where you can put

audio_output alsa=mythcd

which does the thing you want. The changes are in git already. I've used
scripts to wrap gst123 before (for crawling directories with find), but usually
its better to put the functionality in gst123, because then its available to
all users (not just competent script writers).

   Cu... Stefan

--
Stefan Westerfeld, Hamburg/Germany, http://space.twc.de/~stefan