Re: [LAD] Feature request for FIL-Plugins

From: Philipp Überbacher <hollunder@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jul 07 2010 - 18:12:56 EEST

Excerpts from fons's message of 2010-07-07 16:46:26 +0200:
> On Wed, Jul 07, 2010 at 03:47:20PM +0200, Philipp Überbacher wrote:
>
> > Previously I was unsure whether it will be a set of lv2 extension or
> > another plugin API, I guessed the former but apparently was wrong.
> > Does it really need another plugin API in addition to the 5 free and
> > native (read: non-VST) APIs I can think of off the top of my head?
>
> I now of LADSPA, DSSI and LV2. None of them comes close to
> what is required. Which are the others (apart from Csound
> opcodes etc.) ?

There's also MESS (some muse related thing, also only read recently
about it) and RHSP
(http://sites.google.com/site/rockhardbuns/rhsp).

> It could be done as an LV2 extension (LV2, like the Borg,
> could assimilate anything), but nothing is gained by doing
> that - it just complicates things. Only the discovery
> mechanism would remain, and it is widely known that I don't
> much like anything that even looks like XML.
>
> There are number of fundamental differences between existing
> Linux plugin systems and the one I'm working on, so as far as
> I can see the answer to your question is positive.
>
> Ciao,

I'm just afraid that it might end up as a pretty much app specific
thing, similar to MESS and RHSP. What's the point of a plugin API
'standard' when there's a single host supporting the thing? It doesn't
help plugin developers either if they have to chose between 5-7 plugin
APIs, knowing that, whatever they chose, only a, often tiny, subset of
programs will be able to load the plugin.

I'm not sure the lv2 way would be better either, hosts would need to
adapt your extensions and that may or may not take a long time.
I guess there's no easy answer until there's a plugin standard everyone is
happy with.

--
Regards,
Philipp