Re: [LAD] What do you do for a living?

From: Charles Henry <czhenry@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Nov 11 2010 - 01:05:24 EET

On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 9:17 PM, Kris C <cpczk@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I understand that a lot of you develop for free software and are passionate
> at what you do. But how do you pay the bills? What do you do for a living?
> Are you a student? Do you do software development just as a hobby, or do
> you want to make a living doing this kind of work?

I've followed this thread with some interest. I work as cluster admin for a
university research department--It's decent work, good hrs and benefits.
But also, exhausting. I have much more fun writing code than wrangling
servers.

Writing open source software is good as a hobby, but also as resume
material. The jobs in audio software are very competitive, so having some
completed projects will help you a lot.

My current job and projects are (hopefully) a stepping stone to other more
interesting jobs in the future.

Chuck