Re: [LAD] What do you do for a living?

From: Gordon JC Pearce <gordonjcp@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Nov 11 2010 - 21:40:02 EET

On Wed, 2010-11-10 at 15:06 -0800, Kris Calabio wrote:
> Hmm, lot's of anti Google sentiment here? I'm afraid that I was sort
> of in the afterglow of positive testimonials when I wrote that
> original email. What exactly does Google do that is unethical? Sure,
> they're a huge corporation (bureucracy blah blah), but they are
> companies that are a lot worse.

The annoying painfully slow fade in when you load their page

The annoying way that Google Translate *always* selects Spanish as the
language to translate from, no matter what you set it to last. I never
want to translate from Spanish. You store everything else, why not
store this?

The annoying "Showing results for kiss. Search instead for mkiss"
retardedness. If I wanted to search for "kiss" I would have typed
"kiss". I wanted to search for "mkiss", which is why I typed "mkiss".
Do not try to second-guess me, and then wrap it up in a patronising
little message.

The really annoying way that if you search for an electronic component,
the first three pages are all the same "YOU BUY NOW BEST PRICE CHINA IC
MART TOP GOOGLE BEST PRICE!!!111!!" shite.

The annoying Google Instant flashy shit. Why the hell are you
constantly making the screen flash when I'm trying to type? Stop it.
You don't know what I want to search for, until I hit return. Don't try
to guess.

The absolutely fucking rage-inducingly annoying Google Preview. Again
with the flashing shit! Stop doing it! I don't want you to fill my
screen with a pixelly blurry low-res version of the page I want to go
to. You have a preview of the text there, that's quite enough.

Fuck Google. I've already switched back to Altavista, and submitted
bugs against Firefox and derivatives and Google Chrome suggesting that
they either use Yahoo!, Altavista or Bing as their default search.

Gordon MM0YEQ