Re: [LAD] Devs needed for opensource virtual analog softsynth idea

From: Sascha Schneider <ungleichklang@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jan 08 2011 - 11:34:34 EET

Hi back,

o.k. I spend a little time reading and experimenting with UI-Toolkits
(please keep in mind that my app-programmingskills are limited) and
have the following thoughts:

- for the UI we will mainly need sliders and knobs
- the UI should be lightweight to run several plugins per song/track

- as far as I have seen only 2 UI-toolkits have knob-widgets include
in the standard lib and that are FLTK and Qt
- gtkmm has no knobs but with gtk and cairo I can draw some ->
brummer, the dev of guitarix gave his o.k. to use his knobs and
sliders

regarding my programming skils:
- FLTK is ... less documented (to be polite) .... development unsure
- Qt is big, unless we say that most people use QJackCtl, then Qt
support is installed anyway
- gtkmm sits on top of gtk and the most designfiles are kinda "closed source" .o

I think my first step will be to redesign the FLTK-UI and make it more
Zynaddish / Yoshish keeping the nice PPG colors
Work began yesterday - be polite - this is my first UI ...
I will add a "soundchooser" like in zynadd so that we can create banks
and a "midi-map" window.

regards, saschas