Re: [LAD] What if a fork is not a fork?

From: drew Roberts <zotz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jan 31 2011 - 18:16:15 EET

On Saturday 29 January 2011 10:17:36 Jens M Andreasen wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-01-27 at 22:05 +0200, Vytautas Jancauskas wrote:
> > What if I "fork" a project because I think it gives me a good
> > starting point
> > or base for what I want to do but the direction I intend to
> > take things will
> > result in a completely different sort of program to the one I
> > forked?
>
> a) We do not know neither your direction nor intend.
> b) Is the program really completely different - according to who?
> c) Because of a and b there is no c.

Since I think I kicked this off:

http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-audio-dev@email-addr-hidden/msg11217.html

let me say that it was a general question and not one aimed at any current or
planned fork.

I just thought that for some people, it might be possible to start with
something but take it in a very / completely different direction. So
different that to name the one as a fork of the other might confuse people as
to what the forked program was useful for. Hence:

> /j
>
> > Would another term be useful?

all the best,

drew