[LAD] What if a fork is not a fork?

From: drew Roberts <zotz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jan 27 2011 - 21:57:22 EET

On Thursday 27 January 2011 11:56:22 Paul Davis wrote:
> i just don't remember other cases where major existing FLOSS projects
> were forked

This is not about what is going in in this thread in any direct way. (Or may
not be at least, I do not know enough to say I guess.)

What if I "fork" a project because I think it gives me a good starting point
or base for what I want to do but the direction I intend to take things will
result in a completely different sort of program to the one I forked? Should
that still be considered a fork or is there another term for such a beast?
Would another term be useful?

all the best,

drew