Re: [LAD] [ANN] IR: LV2 Convolution Reverb

From: David Robillard <d@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Feb 22 2011 - 04:59:14 EET

On Mon, 2011-02-21 at 21:14 -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 6:12 PM, Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
> > This excludes Windows (TM), but again, I couln't care less.
>
> It also excludes OS X, which despite having "X11 support" isn't really
> what you mean by "supports X11".
>
> at some point, focusing on X11 will also start to exclude the next
> generation of linux UI systems which are not going to be X11 (even
> though they are re-using a lot of the internal code and can host X11
> windows). once you've seen them in action, i think that even you will
> be a believer :) I'm talking primarily about Wayland
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayland_%28display_server_protocol%29

It also excludes framebuffer based toolkits (which Gtk can be), which is
a good solution for embedded stuff, or what we call "hardware" here in
music land... not to mention smart phones / tablets / etc, which at this
point is hilariously short-sighted to exclude at the outset.

> it also excludes GL based systems, which to be perfectly honest appear
> to be have been a MUCH better starting point if you writing a GUI at
> any point in the last 12 years than X. i deeply regret not basing
> ardour on a toolkit that sat on top of GL rather than X11 - GL is more
> portable, and has lots of nice features that don't show up in a lot of
> programs but are real nonetheless.

Yep.. boy do I wish I just did everything in GL...

-dr