Re: [LAD] RDF libraries, was Re: [ANN] IR: LV2 Convolution Reverb

From: David Robillard <d@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Feb 24 2011 - 18:52:59 EET

On Thu, 2011-02-24 at 10:48 +0000, Chris Cannam wrote:
> On 23 February 2011 23:55, David Robillard <d@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> > They're all in my LAD meta-repository:
>
> Ah, externals.
>
> LGPL I see -- I've no problem with that in principle, but it would
> complicate matters a bit (both Dataquay and Redland being BSD).

I could perhaps be convinced to make it BSD since it's intended to be as
widely usable as possible... the goal is to provide an enabling
technology to promote Turtle/RDF, not the software itself, so that's
appropriate. I'm making a single-file "amalgamation" ala SQlite as well,
public domain / unlicense like they do might be a good choice too.

> > if you're just interested in Turtle + in-memory model
>
> That's essentially all I use -- Dataquay does a basic job of wrapping
> SPARQL as well, but a case could be made for that to be optional.

I always wanted a programmatic query interface in Redland... having
actual textual queries that need to be parsed every time is a bit silly
in something like SLV2. Maybe one day I'll try my hand at a (simple than
SPARQL) query engine, but it's a bit hard, and it turns out that doing
triple queries and just iterating over those (possibly nested) actually
makes much more clear code from a C coding perspective. Nested foreach
style loops is much more natural than tabular query results for the type
of code that uses LV2 (not that SPARQL style querying doesn't have it's
uses, of course).

-dr