Re: [LAD] RDF libraries, was Re: [ANN] IR: LV2 Convolution Reverb

From: David Robillard <d@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Feb 26 2011 - 20:28:55 EET

On Sat, 2011-02-26 at 19:19 +0100, Olivier Guilyardi wrote:
> On 02/26/2011 06:45 PM, Stefano D'Angelo wrote:
>
> >> Something like 100k-200K could be fine in my case, at the condition that adding
> >> LV2 support provides a real benefit in terms of functionality.
> >
> > This depends on what you are using it for and how. Being decentralized
> > & extensible, you could also use it to make coffee. :-)
>
> Heh :) Well, right now, I'm more wondering about what ui:AndroidUi could be.

I think browser UI is definitely the way to go. Then it's a UI for
basically anything, and one that's inherently remote control capable.

I have a few ideas knocking around in the back of my head about simple
dynamic RAD for web based plugin GUIs...

> Aside, in the ui ext docs there's this example which contains ui:binary, but I
> can't find any reference documentation about this binary property on the page:
> http://lv2plug.in/ns/extensions/ui/

Noted. An error duplicated from an ealier LV2 spec. One of these days
I'll write a simple validator to catch this stuff...

> > However, in the long run, I would avoid LADSPA for two reasons: 1.
> > lack of extensibility, etc., 2. LADSPA plugins can run into LV2 hosts
> > without explicit support through the NASPRO bridges (which will be
> > able to work by default with SLV2 starting from the next SLV2 release,
> > otherwise you can grab the current svn SLV2 already).
>
> Hmm, I've been wandering in google yesterday about such LV2-LADSPA bridge.
>
> I am discovering the NASPRO project. That's interesting. It seems like it may
> consume a lot of brain-time diving into all this when compared to LADSPA. But
> I'm nevertheless a bit worried about adding support for LADSPA, as it's getting
> old and somehow obsolete. But IIUC correctly you are about to add some sort of
> LADSPA backward compatibility, which in any case, sounds very good and was
> clearly missing.

I just dropped explicit LADSPA support from Ingen in favour of NASPRO.
IMO, if the bridge is inadequate, then the bridge should be fixed, so
I'm investing in NASPRO, so to speak, so hopefully it remains a vibrant
project :)

From a host author POV, it's pretty awesome to implement a single plugin
API and get full-featured support for (possibly) all the plugin APIs for
free...

-dr