Re: [LAD] memory allocation for the real time thread, opinions wanted

From: Adrian Knoth <adi@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Feb 26 2012 - 13:28:23 EET

Iain Duncan <iainduncanlists@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

Hi

>- I could pre-allocate a giant list of messages and pluck the data off
>that
>list when I need to make a new one
>- I could pre-allocate a block of memory and allocate off that

I'm writing from my phone, so for the sake of brevity, I will only talk about one option you might have missed:

Google for "A Study in Malloc: A Case of Excessive Minor Faults - USENIX" by Ezolt.

You can instruct your malloc implementation to operate on a previously allocated (and prefaulted) memory pool. free() will then never return the memory to the OS, but back to this memory pool.

This way, if you have a rough estimation for your overall memory requirements, you simply allocate it once in a non-real-time context and then use malloc/free at will.

HTH