Re: [LAD] [ANN] Qtractor 0.5.4 - Echo Victor shouts out!

From: David Robillard <d@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Mar 03 2012 - 07:50:50 EET

On Fri, 2012-03-02 at 18:41 +0100, Albert Graef wrote:
> On 03/01/2012 07:40 PM, Rui Nuno Capela wrote:
> > So here it goes: Ardour is a full fledged, pro-level DAW and, for crying
> > out loud on its own, the flagship of the free/open-source pro-audio
> > fleet and movement, not only Linux anymore nowadays.
>
> It goes without saying that Ardour offers an abundance of features, but
> Qtractor's MIDI support is very good, its audio support is more than
> just adequate, and its big plus is that it's so easy to learn and use.
> Also, despite the "alpha" sticker that you keep putting on it, it's been
> working very well for me. In any case, we can be happy that we have both. :)
>
> Now what's still needed is full-fledged OSC support. I mean not just
> automation, but real OSC tracks with full recording, playback and
> editing capabilities a la MIDI. We've briefly discussed this on the
> Qtractor mailing list, and I think that I've read somewhere that Ardour3
> has been designed with that in mind as well. But are there any concrete
> plans to add an OSC track type to Ardour? That would be a killer
> feature, at least for me.

Not really, though it wouldn't be all that hard if Jack had a generic
event API like it should. Unfortunately it doesn't so there's that
roadblock in the way[1].

There is also the chicken & egg problem, last I checked there wasn't an
OSC note standard in use anywhere to have Ardour send...

-dr

[1] Though logistically the implementation couldn't care less what kind
of bytes are in a message; basically the function names are just stupid.
We'll probably end up sending non-MIDI stuff around with jack_midi_*
functions, or copy/pasting the entire API. Lovely.