Re: [LAD] Non Session Management

From: Tim E. Real <termtech@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Mar 25 2012 - 11:35:15 EEST

On March 22, 2012 4:42:55 PM rosea.grammostola wrote:
> On 03/22/2012 02:52 PM, Harry van Haaren wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 12:33 PM, rosea.grammostola
> >
> > <rosea.grammostola@email-addr-hidden <mailto:rosea.grammostola@email-addr-hidden>> wrote:
> > JackSession seems to be an option
> >
> > JackSession is merged in JACK. No external dependencies, if all other
> > session management systems would integrate with it, then the problem
> > would be solved. I appreciate that there are things that JackSession
> > cannot currently do, but IMO there's a lot to be gained from widespread
> > adopting of JackSession.
> >
> > When I find time to implement restoring sessions in Luppp, the
> > functionality will be available trough JackSession.
>
> And what if there is no real objection towards NSM from within the
> community and what if the JS devs tell you that they have no time or
> motivation to really develop or stimulate development of JackSession?
> Isn't is possible then that the community more or less decides that one
> option is better then the other?
> Or is someone else willing to maintain JackSession from now on?
>
> NSM doesn't depend on JACK, how bad is that really? At least one benefit
> seems to be that apps like non-mixer are also supported now. And even
> apps without JACK support, (all though I can't find a situation at this
> moment in time where this can be useful).

Our MusE allows running without Jack, using a dummy audio driver and
 ALSA for midi. Some folks run it that way.

(I was told MusE had an ALSA audio driver long ago, I was thinking
 of toying with that again to help get users running. A recent post on
 jack-dev lamented the lack of ALSA audio support in several apps,
 including ours.)

So I've often wondered whether we should try to add JS support.
I think for us, we still need a SM that works with and without Jack.
We've always had LASH support. With LADISH LASH emulation,
 maybe we won't have to do anything... for now.

I remember early threads about NON internals, it seemed to have smart design.

Cheers. Tim.