Re: [LAD] LV2 specification packaging

From: David Robillard <d@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Mar 27 2012 - 03:54:28 EEST

On Thu, 2012-03-22 at 22:15 +0000, Chris Goddard wrote:
> I like the idea of an overall version number, so, LV2 V2.1 is released
> which contains foo v0.7, ba v1.1, thing v0.4.
>
> Over time foo is updated to v0.8, LV2 V2.2 gets released.

Done. With respect to pkg-config, the "lv2core" package will remain,
for compatibility. Otherwise, there is just an "lv2" package.
Configure scripts can just check whatever version of that.

Generally, APIs should have meaningful version numbers, but I can't come
up with a scheme for this. People seem to not like the date thing,
though, so "lv2" currently has the completely arbitrary version "0.1.0".
I guess I will just increment whichever digit I arbitrarily feel like
incrementing that day...

Developers currently following the bleeding edge should dump all their
extension specific pkg-config checks and simply check for 'lv2'. The
price of this change is minimal sympathy for stagnant crap: the
benevolent dictator model will indeed keep things more agile and
unified, but only if you keep up.

-dr