Re: [LAD] Non Session Management

From: David Robillard <d@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Mar 28 2012 - 21:53:45 EEST

On Wed, 2012-03-28 at 20:00 +0200, Emanuel Rumpf wrote:
> Am 28. März 2012 19:33 schrieb David Robillard <d@drobilla.net>:
> > On Wed, 2012-03-28 at 18:31 +0200, Renato wrote:
> >> On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 15:35:26 +0200
>

> > The mentioned functionality does not depend on a centralized file store.
> That's right, but that was just _one_ of my possible scenarios.
>
> > That's the point I'm trying to make, it's not "complexity that wins us a
> > bunch of nice features", it's just complexity.
> >
> It might sound complicated, but your scenario has its difficulties too.
> Actually I've been talking about a list of filenames, with 3 state flags.
> How is that sooo complicated ?

It's sooo complicated because it forces everything involved to use a
special file finding and/or loading interface.

It also requires that central store to remain consistent, which is
roughly infinity times harder than... well, not.

Any program that deletes files based on some fantasy of omniscience
isn't one I'm trusting with my data. Actually I think I'd take that a
bit farther and say I don't want a session manager deleting files at
all. Ever.

-dr