Re: [LAD] simple silence detection tool

From: Adrian Knoth <adi@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Feb 10 2013 - 18:15:08 EET

On 02/10/2013 04:43 PM, Jeremy Hansen wrote:

>> You can run jack_lsp to verify your jackd is up and running.
> I don't see this utility at all.

It should be part of your jackd installation. Since you seem to be on
RHEL, the package is called j-a-c-k-example-clients or something like
this.

>> You may also find the "patchage" tool useful, run it after starting
>> jackd, and you can see and manage all your jackd clients.
> I don't see patchage either. Using RPMS from the EPEL.
>
> Here's what I see:
>
> [jeremy@email-addr-hidden ~]$ jackd -d dummy
> jackd 0.103.0

This is ancient.

Linux audio is bleeding edge, RHEL is the exact opposite. You may want
to include the CCRMA repository.

Note that you don't necessarily have to update, you're just using it
wrong atm.

> [jeremy@email-addr-hidden ~]$ mplayer -ao jack,port=SilentJack http://live.skidrowstudios.com:8000/live

The port= needs further tweaks. That's up to you to figure out what
to put there.

A proper port name looks like "clientname:portname".

> [jeremy@email-addr-hidden ~]$ silentjack -v -n SilentJack
> JACK tmpdir identified as [/dev/shm]
> JACK client registered as 'SilentJack'.
> Input port isn't connected to anything.
> Input port isn't connected to anything.
> Input port isn't connected to anything.
> Input port isn't connected to anything.
> Input port isn't connected to anything.
>
> I tried doing silentjack -c SilentJack, but this didn't work.

See, that's why I recommended to use patchage, where you can simply wire
it up graphically.

Alternatives to patchage: qjackctl, shell

Shell: Once you have your example-clients installed, you can use

   $ jack_lsp

to figure out the exact portnames and

   $ jack_connect mplayer:foo silentjack:input

or however the ports are called.

I guess you want to add "name=mplayer" to mplayer's jack output module
to prevent it from creating a name that changes every time you restart
mplayer.

Cheers