Re: [LAD] forking (was Re: Aeolus)

From: Felix Homann <linuxaudio@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Sep 21 2013 - 01:23:23 EEST

Am 20.09.2013 23:28 schrieb "Fons Adriaensen" <fons@email-addr-hidden>:
> Any changes that violate that principle, no matter how convenient
> to the average user, destroy that quality and consequently harm my
> interests as an author.

Perfectly understandable. Just don't accept any patches that violate your
principles.

BTW, there are currently 3646 'forks' of Linus Torvald's kernel tree on
github. I doubt there is even one that would deserve to be called a fork in
the first place. And I don't think that any kernel developer feels bad
about it.

> Maybe the free software community fails to
> understand that, in which case I feel completely justified not to
> contribute to it.

Well, in the light of this discussion it seems you chose the GPL for Aeolus
primarily for your convenience without thinking about the implications.
That would certainly have been for the wrong reasons. I didn't expect that.

So, please, *do* change the license so that no one gets mislead to believe
he can use it under the terms of the GPL.

While we're at it: What about you're other GPL projects? Are they meant to
be GPL?

Last but not least: I'd like to thank you very much for all the code you
published! It's been a very educative and valuable source of information
for me and definitely many others - no matter whether it can be reused or
not. Thank you!