Re: [LAD] forking (was Re: Aeolus)

From: Felix Homann <linuxaudio@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Sep 21 2013 - 09:43:27 EEST

Am 21.09.2013 08:10 schrieb "hermann meyer" <brummer-@web.de>:

> Ralf, please stop this. You seems to have no Idea about what the blame is
here. Read here,
> Why, When, and How to Fork an Open Source Project

http://jamesdixon.wordpress.com/forking-protocol-why-when-and-how-to-fork-an-open-source-project/

As I mentioned above this is an issue with namespaces: A 'fork' on github
usually isn't the kind of fork Dixon is writing about. A 'fork' on github
most of the times is just what would have been called a working tree or a
personal tree everywhere else. To give the example again: There are
currently 3646 'forks' of Linus Torvalds' kernel tree. Do you think they
are misbehaving?

(BTW, I strongly feel that github would have better chosen the phrase
"clone me on github" instead of "fork me...")