Re: [LAD] Audio problem for numerical optimization

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Mar 01 2014 - 14:27:28 EET

On Sat, Mar 01, 2014 at 07:49:18AM +0100, user web210p1 wrote:

> I'm currently taking a course in University called "How to write fast numerical
> code". We are to do a group project of 3 persons where we choose a numerical
> algorithm and optimize it over the course for a particular processor (e.g. apply
> vectorization, cache optimization etc...).

Are you supposed to optimize by

1. understanding the algorithm and the context in which it is used,
   and eventually modifying it within given limits on performance,
   precision, etc., or

2. only by changing the way it is coded (which seems to be suggested
   by your message) ?

In my experience there is much more to be gained from (1) than from
(2), so that is always the first thing I work on.

I've got something you work on but it would have to be treated as
confidential.

Ciao,

--
FA