Re: [LAD] Open Source to be or not to be?

From: Tim E. Real <termtech@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jul 01 2014 - 12:00:20 EEST

On July 1, 2014 08:09:22 AM Gordon JC Pearce wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 01, 2014 at 07:33:31AM +0200, hermann meyer wrote:
> > Regarding FaustLive, do you know that we (guitarix project) working
> > on a analog circuit simulation toolkit, which will generate faust
> > code from gSchem ( http://www.geda-project.org/ ) schematics?
> > Imagine a electronic circuit designer could create a plug schematic
> > and "hear" direct what a change from 1k resistor to 2k resistor will
> > sounds like, if such a toolkit be integrated in FaustLive.
> >
> > Faust rocks!<B0>!

Nice! Now that got MY attention.

I suggested that a couple of years ago somewhere, possibly in Guitarix forums.
The ability to go from schematic (to Faust) to actual real finished plugin
 would be fun and educational in many cases. Other cases not so helpful
 (say, digital delay best done with code).

Does this mean the gSchem family can use Faust/Guitarix tube models ?

Interesting, thinking also toward the future to high-samplerate plugins
 and hardware. Software Defined Radio for example.
Someone asked recently on Jack ML about high Jack sample rates (in MHz).

> Okay, so you get to hear what your simulation sounds like. It won't sound
> even remotely like real hardware. Circuit simulation only tells you how
> your circuit behaves in a simulator - it does not in any way resemble
> real-life results.

I think pretty good actually, in this case.
Faust and Guitarix have some nice sounding tubes.
Guitarix seems to have a solid foundation by using Faust.

The Guitarix Head's sound is awesome Hermann.

Have you ever thought of simulating the Head right down to
 adjustable power supply (Van Halen's Vari-AC Brown-Sound),
 power supply ripple (simulated hum), and sag (commonly called
 slow-gear effect)?

Tim.