Re: [LAD] Open Source to be or not to be?

From: Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jul 01 2014 - 10:36:05 EEST

On Tue, July 1, 2014 3:09 pm, Stéphane Letz wrote:

> Le 1 juil. 2014 à 05:56, hermann meyer <brummer-@web.de> a écrit :

>>> ++
>>>
>>> UIs are one thing (not without their own problems, but running remotely
>>> on pretty much anything is at least useful), but all this DSP in the
>>> browser (or Javascript, period) nonsense is just that. It's literally
>>> the least appropriate thing to be doing on that platform I can think
>>> of.
>>>
>>> One of the fun things you can do with compilers (like Faust) is output
>>> pretty much anything as your "machine code". What's fun, however, is
>>> not always sane...
>>>
>>> Native code aversion is a serious problem in the entire computing
>>> world,
>>> which continues to snowball because all the language/etc innovation
>>> gets
>>> directed at VMs for no particularly good reason (and/or you get
>>> half-baked amateurish garbage like Javascript/PHP from people who have
>>> no business inventing programming languages in the first place). I
>>> don't need a bloody virtual machine, I've got a real one, thanks.
>>>
>>> Javscript doesn't even have real numeric types or sane lexical scoping.
>>> The entire computing world is supposed to move to this joke, even for
>>> high performance and real-time tasks? Give me a break.
>>>
>>> </rant>
>>>

>> One way I could imagine to use this:
>> If you put "this" html site as example on your project site, so "users"
>> could just test it, without download or install.
>> If they like it, they could download it for "real" work.
>>

> Or just drop the "code" link that is available in the upper part of he
> HTML page in the export tool of FaustLive. In a matter of minutes you can
> generate the *native* optimized tool you may want as a plug-in or
> standalone application. This is a new way to promote DSP code reuse we
> think interesting.

Or enabling people who do not have the expertise to run a native app to do
something that they would otherwise not be able to do. Let them view some
advertising and even (god forbid) pay for the service. Not everyone has
the privilege of lifetime tenure at a government funded cultural
institution or wealthy benefactors with pockets full of cash so they can
afford to spend their lives working for free on open source technology.

If some random marketer wants to spend their clients money on google ads
and happens to have their ad appear on my website I'll take the 30c. It
helps cover the cost of paying for the server and domain. Let's call it
diversification.

Anyone who is serious will quickly understand that a native app is a more
powerful solution and will look for those alternatives. If they are also
provided with information about the alternatives the web version becomes a
marketing tool for native apps.

Most of the ad spend profit comes from the ideation, design and
development process. The actual cost of the campaign is usually a smaller
amount. That gives developers, designers and project managers an income
which many of them use to self fund their own personal work with a large
number of the developers contributing to open source projects. If we take
out the marketing industry then we have to find a replacement for those
jobs. With the current state of the world it will be a while before the
marketing industry is replaced by an international space exploration
social co-operative. It could be argued that the marketing industry has
enabled a lot of people to stay employed during the past 6 years of global
financial meltdown without having to resort to participating in the
military industrial complex.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd