Re: [LAD] Experience driven design and Linux Audio

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Oct 01 2014 - 05:08:37 EEST

On Tue, 30 Sep 2014, Paul Davis wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 5:32 PM, Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
> My take on this is much more practical. I make software to fill
> my needs and expected experience.
>
> Your expected experience is shaped by the software experiences you've
> already had. This is why the first users of touch surfaces were so blown
> away by it - an experience completely unpredicted and unanticipated by
> previous experience.

Yup, certainly. That was not my point though. Yes 1994 or 95 when I
started using Linux, computer audio was midi. X was around, but was a toy,
I did everything on terminals accessed with c-a-F* key combos. I don't do
that any more because I don't have to. I do use a GUI based DAW and am
grateful for those who developed it.

The point is that I don't get paid for playing with Linux (and when I did
it was for a specific outcome), I can only spend so much time on it (and
in the case of HW, only so much money... I have a family to feed). I do
like open sw and so when I do create something I am willing to share it in
the same spirit.... but I am not ready to start a world domination
campaign. To put together something like this person was suggesting has
been tried and failed because it has to happen quickly. Even closed house
with lots of money doesn't always manage "catch the wave" in time.

This is part of the reason there is more open SW than HW. SW has a lot
less to loose. The HW that is open is a lot more things that can not be
bought or where customization is desired and competition is unlikely.
Control surfaces, high end preamps, even microphones.

Any time hardware is mentioned one of the first responses is that "you can
buy one for less than making it". So it has to have some other value for
the hobbist to make it. But it is still a value that is personal.

Besides, What do I need a smart phone for? The more I play with them the
more I long for the old clamshell. Its the same with convergence...
everything has a phone interface, but I can't do what I want to do on
it... without more work. Sometimes the keyboard is the right input device
and sometimes this simple text editor is faster and easier than a gui.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net