Re: [LAD] Experience driven design and Linux Audio

From: Gene Heskett <gheskett@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Oct 01 2014 - 14:03:58 EEST

On Wednesday 01 October 2014 01:04:52 hermann meyer did opine
And Gene did reply:
> Am 30.09.2014 23:51, schrieb Paul Davis:
> > it isn't about being a professional or not. You can be a professional
> > woodworker or a weekend amateur and use (functionally speaking) the
> > same tools. The pro might also have a CNC system too, but that
> > doesn't change things in any particular way.
>
> professional tools for woodworkers are extreme expensive ( I know it,
> because I'm), it's unlikely that a weekend amateur is willing to spend
> the money for them.
> (as well a parable)

I'm one of the weekenders I guess, although my weekends can be anytime
since I retired a decade & change back up the log of life.

But to facilitate some precision in my woodworking for mortise & tenon
joinery, I long ago made up an alu bar that I can bolt to the front of the
head casting of my cnc'd (using LinuxCNC of course) micromill to mount a
cheap die grinder far enough forward and offset to the left, and some jigs
to mount the frame sticks in a vice-like setup, wrote a bit of gcode and
carved both the tenon on the end of the stick, and its matching mortise.

My last such project, for the next door neighbor, was a set of benches
with seat backs that double as storage for toys etc for all ages, only had
172 such joints in it. And no, not a pro, but just making the best use of
the tools I have. My interests are best described as eclectic I guess.
Keeps me out of the bars, is I believe the usual excuse. :)

Point being, use the tool you are familiar with.

Cheers, Gene Heskett

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)