Re: [LAD] [OT] Duplicate messages originating from dspam@email-addr-hidden

From: Philipp Überbacher <murks@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Oct 11 2014 - 19:56:07 EEST

On Sat, 11 Oct 2014 15:40:13 +0200
hermann meyer <brummer-@web.de> wrote:

> Am 06.10.2014 02:51, schrieb Len Ovens:
> > On Sun, 5 Oct 2014, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> >
> >> Hello all,
> >>
> >> Since some time I do get duplicate messages on this list
> >> for example the last one just a few minutes ago:

> >> This seems to happen only to messages which are a reply to one
> >> I sent. The 'dspam@email-addr-hidden' address seems to be related
> >> to 'marcochapeau', a name I've seen before on this list.
> >>
> >> I just wonder if I'm the only one getting these.
> >
> > I have been seeing them too. I may have even seen one triplicate.
> > They don't seem to be in the archives though. I haven't kept track
> > of them though.
> >
> > --
> > Len Ovens
> > www.ovenwerks.net
> >

> The current "zitaretuner" thread is full of duplicated Messages here,
> in fact I receive them 4 times each, [LAU] [LAD] . . , [LAU]
> [LAD] . . ., [LAD] [LAU] . . . , [LAD] . . . .
>
> At least those which reply to LAU and LAD.

I think the original problem here was another one. However, I too got
lots of duplicate messages. There's an option in the list settings to
not send duplicate messages and I have it turned off. The reason for
this is simple: the list server can't handle it properly. The main
reason for duplicate messages is people who send the message to the
receiver directly and to the list in addition to that. The list server
however can only delete the message that goes through the list. This is
the message I want to keep however since it contains the proper
headers, which the direct mail does not. So effectively the email
program at the receiving end has to sort out the mess (mine does this,
but poorly, have to dig into it some more).
In this particular case the situation was even worse, since there were
messages going to LAU, LAD and the receiver, so it was at least three
times the same message.

My proposal is to send the email just to the list as it should be.
It seems that the current situation is mostly Gmails fault as it sends
to the receiver directly and CCs the list by default. No idea whether
that can be changed by the user.

Regards,
Philipp