Re: [LAD] need help mixing on the fly

From: David Griffith <dave@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Feb 19 2017 - 15:47:39 EET

On Sat, 18 Feb 2017, Fons Adriaensen wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 18, 2017 at 01:44:32AM +0000, David Griffith wrote:
>
>> For a couple years I've been trying, without success, to reliably
>> mix two audio streams on the fly in C. I'm using libao, libmodplug,
>> libsamplerate, libsndfile, and libvorbis. The program is Frotz
>> (https://github.com/DavidGriffith/frotz), a Z-machine emulator for
>> playing old Infocom games as well as newer ones. Could I please get
>> some help with this?
>
> Mixing audio from two audio streams just requires adding the streams
> sample by sample. I'm pretty sure that the real problem here is not
> mixing but something else. But with the limited info you provide we
> can only guess.
>
> Where are the streams coming from ? What are the formats ? Where is
> the result supposed to go ? etc. etc. etc.

The audio comes from AIFF, OGGV, and MOD files which are embedded in an
IFF container file which also contains game data. Using libmodplug,
libsamplerate, libsndfile, and libvorbis; these audio chunks are turned
into stereo streams of floats. There are only two streams. If two
streams are active, mixing is done. The resulting single stream of floats
is converted to pcm16 and fed into libao for output.

The two streams are either "music" or "bleep". The music stream can be
fed with audio data from an OGGV chunk or MOD chunk, but not both. The
bleep stream is fed from an AIFF chunk. If a new stream of the same type
is started, the new one immediately takes over the old one. This works.
If both types are played at once, they're supposed to be mixed. That
process doesn't go right and I don't know where or why, though I suspect
trouble with threads, mutexes, and/or semaphores. The problem manifests
in distorted sound and usually a segfault.

More detail...

A mixer thread is spawned when Frotz starts up. It waits for one or both
float buffers to fill whereupon it mixes their contents, converts the
result to pcm16 and calls libao to play it. playaiff() or playmusic() are
spawned by the main thread as separate threads to read audio data from the
container IFF and fill up the float buffers for the mixer to read.

The defective code is in
https://github.com/DavidGriffith/frotz/blob/ao-curses/src/curses/ux_audio.c

I have created a test game to be loaded by Frotz for testing audio
development. It's at http://661.org/soundtest2.blb. The game is a text
adventure that simulates a single room which contains a Commodore 64, a
Commodore Amiga, and a small box with buttons on it. Turning on the C64
causes an OGGV file to play. The Amiga plays a MOD file. The
buttons on the small box cause AIFFs to play. To tickle the bug, turn on
one of the computers and then press a button on the box.

I'm not interested in using SDL or Pulseaudio for this project.

--
David Griffith
dave@email-addr-hidden