Re: [LAD] LADPSA and LV2 Sample Types

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Mar 06 2017 - 22:30:18 EET

On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 8:59 PM, Taylor <tay10r@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Hey,
>
> I'm a little bit new to LADSPA and LV2, so this may be a naive question.
>
> I would like to know why single precision floating point types are used in
> the plugin interface, instead of double precision.
>
> I would also like to know if there are plans to standardize a plugin
> interface that may process double-precision instead of single-precision
> data (or both).

Nobody needs double precision when moving data between host and plugins (or
from one plugin to another).

You might be able to make a case for double precision math inside a plugin
(and indeed several people have). But once that particular math is done,
single precision is more than adequate.

As to why.... because everybody else who knew anything about this stuff was
using 32 bit floating point already.

No existing plugin API supports double precision floating point as a
standard sample format (you could do it in AU, but it would involve a
converter to/from single precision on either side of the plugin that asks
for this.