Re: [LAD] LADPSA and LV2 Sample Types

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Mar 07 2017 - 00:54:11 EET

On Mon, Mar 06, 2017 at 02:59:47PM -0500, Taylor wrote:

> I'm a little bit new to LADSPA and LV2, so this may be a naive question.
>
> I would like to know why single precision floating point types are used
> in the plugin interface, instead of double precision.

Because 32-bit floating point already provides more dynamic range
than is required for audio signals.

Even 24-bit fixed point has a dynamic range of 145 dB. Which means
it can at the same time represent a signal that is so low that you
can't hear it, and one so loud that will damage your ears beyond
repair.

Even the best analog hardware, including AD and DA converters, and
even using high 'professional' signal levels, is no better than 21
or maybe 22 bits. This is not going to change, it's the consequence
of basic physics.

Using double precision doesn't provide any advantage. The only place
where it may be required is internally in some DSP algorithms (e.g.
some filter types). But even this can be avoided in most cases by
good design.

If you read anything on the web claiming that high quality audio
requires 32 bits converters or double precision you can be sure
this is snake oil - someone trying to make money by exploiting
ignorance.

> I would also like to know if there are plans to standardize a plugin
> interface that may process double-precision instead of single-precision
> data (or both).

Don't think so, since there's no point in doing that.

Ciao,

--
FA