Re: [LAD] MIDI-2-TCP, TCP-2-MIDI

From: Will J Godfrey <WillGodfrey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Sep 02 2018 - 10:02:30 EEST

On Sun, 2 Sep 2018 07:52:48 +0200
Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:

>On Wed, 29 Aug 2018 13:00:07 -0700 (PDT), Len Ovens wrote:
>>MIDI was designed to handle in realtime (10 events from 10 fingers)
>
>PS: Even if we reduce MIDI to one channel for real-time playing without
>usage of e.g. the nose as an eleventh finger, at least usage of pedals
>is included. The amount of data send by just one pedal easily exceeds
>what a human could do with ten fingers on black and white keys. A
>keyboarder could use one hand to control a joystick (e.g. pitch bend and
>modulation at the same time) and two feet to control two pedals and at
>the same time use 5 fingers to play black and white keys with after
>touch. The MIDI standard allows to do this.

As a matter or interest, the only time I've had missing noteoffs with
standard MIDI was when I had only a single MIDI port, and daisy-chained a sound
canvas and two keyboards (both sending active sensing). One for the
keyboards also had a pedal attached. Having said that I always used good quality
short cables.

These days, I have a 4 port USB MIDI unit, and run the same hardware along with
a substantial controller and one pedal + two foot switches - narry a problem,
and no noticeable jitter with live playing.

Just my 2d {old money}

--
It wasn't me! (Well actually, it probably was)
... the hard part is not dodging what life throws at you,