Re: [LAD] MIDI-2-TCP, TCP-2-MIDI

From: Hanspeter Portner <dev@email-addr-hidden-music-kontrollers.ch>
Date: Sun Sep 02 2018 - 10:41:58 EEST

On 9/2/18 4:07 AM, Len Ovens wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Sep 2018, Jonathan E. Brickman wrote:
>
>> In general I too am attracted to UDP -- but for MIDI performance transmission,
>> 0.001% loss is still far too much, because that means one note in 1,000 might be
>> held and never released, causing massive encruditation to the moment :-) This is
>> because every time I press a key there's a MIDI signal for the press, and a
>> separate one for the release, and if the release is lost, we can have massive
>> unpleasantry. And a song can easily have thousands of notes. Some of my tests
>> over the years actually included this behavior!
>
> All note offs must be received for good performance. I agree.
>
>> I have read a lot about OSC. It has seemed to me that it would have to be an
>> option, given that it seems to have been designed from the beginning to run over
>> IP, and otherwise to sidestep all of the well-known MIDI limitations. But
>> whenever I have dug into it in the past, I have found myself quite profoundly
>> confused by the massive flexibility.  Recently I ran into OSC2MIDI, and if my
>
> OSC has no "standard" for performance transmition except MIDI via OSC which ends
> up having all the same problems as MIDI alone. It would of course be possible to
> send messages that were note with length... but that would mean a delay at least
> as long as the note was played because the message can not be sent untill note off.

Yet another idea:

Instead of implementing RTP-MIDI (and its hacky journal), I've had a very good
experience with translating (stateless) MIDI to a (stateful) protocol for UDP
communication.

TUIO [1] builds on top of OSC and has been designed to gracefully recover from
packet loss. Don't be intimidated by the spec, you'll only need a really minimal
subset of it (easily implementable) to accomplish your goal.

[1] https://www.tuio.org/?tuio20