Re: [linux-audio-user] Midi Software Sampler

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Midi Software Sampler
From: Luc Tanguay (lucus_AT_sympatico.ca)
Date: Sat Sep 08 2001 - 05:23:59 EEST

Hello all,

I'm from the Soundtracker community, and I've added the MIDI input code
into it. I must confess... I didn't keep up with ALSA releases, they're
updated on a day basis :-) So I'll add this request to my list of thing
to do in ST.

About the slow respond I do want to respond... Open source developers do
code when they want something that's not available. I saw ST, I liked
it, and I had a plain MIDI controller... So I decided to add the
possibility to input notes from the MIDI controller. It's a lot easier
than with a computer keyboard. ST is a tracker. It is no meant for
live performance and it is not a MIDI software. I'll do my best to keep
the latency low, and if anybody take a look at the MIDI code and see
what can be improved, I'd really like to hear it.

These days I'm adding stuff in ST to be able to customize the mapping of
certain MIDI event to ST actions. For example, the hold pedal on my
MIDI controller could activate/deactivate edit mode in ST, a program
change could be translated to a change instrument, etc. These mappings
are done today but are hard-coded. I want to let the user decide its
own mapping.

Regards,
Luc

--