[linux-audio-user] sound restoration software?

Subject: [linux-audio-user] sound restoration software?
From: Bob Billson (reb_AT_bhive.dhs.org)
Date: Sun Sep 09 2001 - 20:13:51 EEST

Hi all!

Can anyone recommend a good Linux software for use in a sound restoration
project? I have some old recordings (tape and phonograph) which I digitized
on my (Debian) Linux box. The originals have very high levels of the usual
hiss, pops, cracks, and drop-outs. I would like to clean it as much as
possible.

I used gramofile to digitize the recordings. It worked quite well for that.
It did okay on the pops and cracks. I'm sure more can be done. It doesn't
do so well with the hiss and drop-outs. I guess I need a sound file editor
for this.

I looked at the various software on the Linux Sound Apps site, but I'm not
sure what is appropriate to start with. The file size I'm working with is
roughly 30 minutes of continuous audio. The machine I have is plenty fast
enough, has 256 MB RAM and lots of disk space. What I need is the right
software. Recommendations and pointers are very welcome!

Using Windows is not an option, although there is apparently good software
out there. Aside from the prohibitive cost, I'm 100% Microsoft-free around
here. (And have been since discovering Linux shortly before Red Hat 4.1.)
I want to keep it that way. :-)

Thanks very much for any advice!

          bob

--
 bob billson        email: reb_AT_bhive.dhs.org          ham: kc2wz
                           reb_AT_elbnet.com             Linux geek   /)