Re: [linux-audio-user] midi glitches on arts builder

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] midi glitches on arts builder
From: Frank Barknecht (barknech_AT_ph-cip.uni-koeln.de)
Date: Mon Sep 10 2001 - 12:20:17 EEST

matthew yee-king hat gesagt: // matthew yee-king wrote:

> i'm using artsbuilder and arts control to build midi synths. i use
> midisend -f /dev/midi100 to make a link from the midi interface into
> arts.
>
> the midi comes in ok but the system seems to get confused and midi notes
> sometimes get repeated, producing unwanted (but kind of cool) echo
> effects.
>
> anyone else using this combination to build virtual midi synths?
>
> or anyone else know of a better virtual midi synth for linux? - i can't
> get spiralsynth modular to compile.... but it looks like a potential
> reaktor beater!

I never tried arts (no KDE here) and I didn't like the old spiral tools.

I use PD.

PD is a Reactor beater for me. I doesn't have Reactor's nice looking
interface (yet, as people are working on that) but is has powerful sound
and control modules on par with Reactor, it is very comfortable to use and
it's quite fast and responsive, especially if you're running a low latency
patched kernel and the latest ALSA drivers.

And PD's possibilities are nearly endless. For example I recently built a little
drum module, that can receive data from PD's own gui objects OR from the
computer keyboard OR from a midi keyboard OR from a midi sequencer OR from
my Saitek gamepad OR from all these together.

--
                                                 __    __
 Frank Barknecht       ____ ______   ____ __ trip\ \  / /wire ______