Re: [linux-audio-user] Is MIDI on-topic here?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Is MIDI on-topic here?
From: Dave Phillips (dlphilp_AT_bright.net)
Date: Mon Sep 10 2001 - 18:59:53 EEST

Greetings:

  Just a note to concur with Larry. MIDI is normally construed as having
something to do with sound, yet it's really more of a simple control
protocol than anything audio. The machines it controls are most usually
musical instruments such as synthesizers like my TX802. However, I also
own a MIDI-controlled mixer (a Yamaha DMP11), and I often compose tracks
of MIDI messages to control its various (and numerous) parameters. A
similar usage is to control the parameters of effects processors via
MIDI messages and continuous controllers.

  In the past there was some notable acrimony towards MIDI, particularly
from some members of the academic electroacoustic music community. I
should hope we're all past that stage now.

Best regards,

== Dave Phillips

        The Linux Soundapps Site at http://sound.condorow.net

Currently listening to: "O Vos Flores Rosarum" (Hildegard von Bingen)