Re: [linux-audio-user] sound restoration software?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] sound restoration software?
From: Juhana Sadeharju (kouhia_AT_nic.funet.fi)
Date: Mon Sep 10 2001 - 18:17:33 EEST

>From: Bob Billson <reb_AT_bhive.dhs.org>
>
>Can anyone recommend a good Linux software for use in a sound restoration
>project? I have some old recordings (tape and phonograph) which I digitized
>on my (Debian) Linux box. The originals have very high levels of the usual
>hiss, pops, cracks, and drop-outs. I would like to clean it as much as

Without a proper software you can do following (slight variation are
possible (for those skilled in the art :-)) today:
 A record the original without modifications
 B process it
 C = A-B

Store B on audio-CD if you wish to listen to it, and packcompress
(with FLAC, for example) C to archive. Later when you have a proper
tool to process the audio, you may reproduce the A.

This also applies to the case in which you use mp3 for everyday
playing, but you want also to be able to recover the original or
better quality recording. Possible applications include a storage
of a large sound effect library.

No patent pending.

 -*-

I have collected published papers on audio restoration, in PDF format,
if anyone would like to write a suitable software. Please mail me
personally.

Juhana