[linux-audio-user] Realplayer8 audio buzzing

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Realplayer8 audio buzzing
From: Andre Dubuc (aajdubuc_AT_webhart.net)
Date: Thu Sep 13 2001 - 23:21:39 EEST

Using Netscape 4.77 in Linux-Mandrake 8, I have attempted to install RP8 for
the fourth time. The video works -- sort of poorly, but the audio sounds like
a buzz-saw. Strangely enough, the very first time I installed it, everything
worked fine. Plugger doesn't "stick" either now.

Obviously there's some connection with KMidi - the same sound occurs if I
play "Cavatina" more than once. I've tried to isolate where the problem
originates, but frankly, I really don't know enough about the functions of
Midi and Synth to know what to look for. Nor do I know whether they interact
with rp8 at all.

For reference, I have the following programs installed on my system (a Duron
800, 256 RAM, with AC97 on-board sound).

(These I never use): Arts Builder, Arts Control; Grip, Midi & Karoke, Midi
Synth, TiMidity synthesis. (Btw, If I remove these, will I be able to use the
other programs below?)

(These I do use): KDE Media player, Sound Mixer, XMMS.

Perhaps the best solution is to trash rp8, and live without it, but I would
at least like to understand where that buzz comes from.

Thanks, in advance, for any help.

Regards, Andre.