Re: [linux-audio-user] Realplayer8 audio buzzing

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Realplayer8 audio buzzing
From: Jörn Nettingsmeier (nettings_AT_folkwang-hochschule.de)
Date: Fri Sep 14 2001 - 11:36:25 EEST

Andre Dubuc wrote:

> Using Netscape 4.77 in Linux-Mandrake 8, I have attempted to install RP8 for
> the fourth time. The video works -- sort of poorly, but the audio sounds like
> a buzz-saw. Strangely enough, the very first time I installed it, everything
> worked fine. Plugger doesn't "stick" either now.
>
> Obviously there's some connection with KMidi - the same sound occurs if I
> play "Cavatina" more than once. I've tried to isolate where the problem
> originates, but frankly, I really don't know enough about the functions of
> Midi and Synth to know what to look for. Nor do I know whether they interact
> with rp8 at all.

since KMidi and realplay are entirely different beasts (and they
cannot interfere with each other), i'd say you've run into a driver
bug.
does this problem never occur when playing wavs ?

if you are using alsa, make sure you update to the latest beta, and
if the problem persists, write to alsa-user for help.
be sure to let them know what chipset you have on your mobo (ac97 is
too vague, it's just a generic standard, not the actual chip).

if you're using oss, ditch it. use alsa. :) (still somewhat of a
fan after many grudges...)

regards,

jörn

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
home://Kurfürstenstr.49.45138.Essen.Germany