[linux-audio-user] BC2000 redux

Subject: [linux-audio-user] BC2000 redux
From: Dave Phillips (dlphilp_AT_bright.net)
Date: Fri Sep 14 2001 - 15:17:20 EEST

Greetings:

  Regarding this statement from the BC site:

    "We've already seen several organizations win lawsuits against
GPL/warranty free software writers because of damage that software
caused to the organization. Several involved the RIAA vs mp3/p2p
software writers. Several involved the MPAA vs media player authors."

  Can anyone verify these statements in the context of free and/or
open-source software ?

  Some comment: Fraunhofer own patents on MP3, so they are entitled to
defend their rights, like it or not. Specifically they have indicated
that royalties are due from the authors of encoders, not players and
certainly not MP3 distribution mechanisms (such as Napster).

  More comment: The RIAA similarly (if reprehensibly) defend their
interests in the copyrighted material of their members. All talk of
right or wrong is superceded by the law, and they have the law on their
side (law and justice being two different things).

  Further comment: Which media player authors have been assaulted by the
MPAA ?

  My point is really this: These statements do not clarify themselves,
and I want to know the specific instances of fact upon which they are
based. Making such statements is obviously newsworthy, but I'm concerned
about accuracy, not newsworthiness.

  BC2K's author has been a correspondent on this list. Adam, if you're
reading this message, how about making things a little more clear for
everyone ? It would be helpful to us all.

Best regards,

== Dave Phillips

        The Linux Soundapps Site at http://sound.condorow.net