Re: [linux-audio-user] BC2000 redux

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] BC2000 redux
From: Rob (lau_AT_kudla.org)
Date: Fri Sep 14 2001 - 15:51:13 EEST

At 08:17 AM 9/14/01 -0400, Dave Phillips wrote:
> "We've already seen several organizations win lawsuits against
>GPL/warranty free software writers because of damage that software
>caused to the organization. Several involved the RIAA vs mp3/p2p
>software writers. Several involved the MPAA vs media player authors."
> Can anyone verify these statements in the context of free and/or
>open-source software ?

I think they were just trying to not make reference to their own legal
problems, which appear to have had nothing to do with patents or industry
groups and everything to do with someone coming in over budget and claiming
it was because they used BC2K. Maybe it was only a threat which passed but
made them realize how vulnerable we all are, maybe it's ongoing. They
haven't said and it may be they can't.

Realistically, any free software or open source project below a certain
size can be put out of business by a frivolous lawsuit filed against its
author. We typically don't have legal budgets.

Ironic, though, that less than a week ago someone just posted a tutorial on
using BC2K for audio recording projects on one of the news sites.

Rob