Re: [linux-audio-user] BC2000 redux

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] BC2000 redux
From: Dave Phillips (dlphilp_AT_bright.net)
Date: Fri Sep 14 2001 - 16:59:36 EEST

Rob wrote:

> Realistically, any free software or open source project below a certain
> size can be put out of business by a frivolous lawsuit filed against its
> author. We typically don't have legal budgets.

You can of course eliminate "free software or open source" in the above
statement. Anyone can be put out of business due to frivolous lawsuits.
Closed source developers have no especial immunity.

I still don't get it. If a user bought any one of the major A/V packages
under a typical EULA and got pissed off they probably couldn't sue
anyone. The terms of most EULAs are written to protect the companies
from lawsuits, not to provide any kind of warranty of fitness to purpose
or even workability.

So if the developer has the fear, why not contact the FSF for legal
counsel ?

Best regards,

== Dave Phillips

        The Linux Soundapps Site at http://sound.condorow.net