Re: [linux-audio-user] Compiling information - totally [OT]

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Compiling information - totally [OT]
From: Josh Green (jgreen_AT_users.sourceforge.net)
Date: Wed Sep 19 2001 - 05:36:49 EEST

On Tue, 18 Sep 2001 18:28:10 -0400

 Rob <kudla_AT_pobox.com> wrote:

> At 06:17 PM 9/18/01 +0200, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:

> >while that may be true, you're missing an integral part

> of the *FUN*

> >of linux. :-D

> I experienced that 'fun' about a hundred times from

> 1993-1995, thank you!

> Actually, in all seriousness, I had to do it again a

> couple years ago for a

> client's unhappy Caldera box and discovered it hadn't

> become any less time

> consuming or annoying as I rolled on out of there at 1am.

> I figured my

> Slack-running friends just kept doing it out of habit; I

> had no idea it was

> supposed to be 'fun' but rather 'indicative Linux still

> needs work to be

> usable by most people'.

These days I don't think it is really that necessary. Most
distributions compile just about everything as modules so
the only real reason I can think of for recompiling the
Linux kernel is to use a low-latency patch (perhaps
distributions will provide a version of that in the future).
I still compile it myself as I do like keeping up with the
latest 2.4.x version, using Andrew Morton's low latency
patch, and having a trimmed down optimized kernel. I've done
it so many times now it really doesn't take all that long as
most options are in a rather sane default state (admittedly
it does take some experience to know what all those options
are though) and one can always use the same ".config" file
from a previous compile.
    Josh Green