Re: [linux-audio-user] SBLive mailing list?

From: Linium (intent_AT_club-internet.fr)
Date: Thu Sep 20 2001 - 20:54:09 EEST

Le Thu, 20 Sep 2001, vous avez écrit :
> Chuck Busby hat gesagt: // Chuck Busby wrote:
>
> > BTW, how many SBLive users are there on this list?
>
> I *was* a SBLive user, but I was so disappointed by the bad full duplex
> performace of my card [see threads in the linux-audio-dev, alsa-user,
> csound and alsa-devel mailing lists], that I shelled out about 200 Euro
> to buy a Midiman Audiophile. The Live card still is in my box, but only
> because Quake3 didn't like the Midiman with Alsa. I suspect the hardware,
> as I have seen similar flaws in my machine at work, wich runs Win2k.
>
> I cannot recommend SBLive's.

I second that.
Nevertheless just 2 things.

Fullduplex works with the open source OSS driver (the one from the kernel). The
full-duplex issue is with ALSA only. Even the last 0.9.b7 doesn't solve it.
For the people wondering what is the problem, you get some long period
of distortion between clean periods.

Right now i am using my sblive with alsa in OSS emulation mode and full duplex
IS working BUT there is a loud click sometimes. I don't know yet what is its
origin but i suspect the alsa driver.

If the full-duplex issue is solved one day (I still hope) then this card would
be recommendable. Because: Hardware mixing is really cool. There is an onboard
soundfont player. The sound is ok for the average Joe, even for non too
demanding musicien. It's cheap. There are some extensions board.

But it is not for the purists and pro users, the analog to digital converters
are very bad regarding pro standards. According to the high quality HOWTO,
the card works at 48000khz internally and you cannot do exact digital copy from
the digital input (from a 44,1 khz cd player for instance). It seems that the
frequencies are not pure after passing thru the hardware neither...

Linium