Re: [linux-audio-user] Cheap, good quality soundcard

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Cheap, good quality soundcard
From: Andre Pang (ozone_AT_algorithm.com.au)
Date: Fri Sep 21 2001 - 13:58:10 EEST

On Fri, Sep 21, 2001 at 02:37:47AM -0400, HormoneX wrote:

> Hi, I'm new to the list, and I'm new to linux audio too. I did have a
> Trident 4Dwave based card in a windows machine once, and was not impressed
> with the audio quality.

well, it is a consumer card :). and on the bright side, it does appear
to work very well with ALSA.

> Evidently, the Maudio 24-96 is on the ALSA list, and it is a nice sounding
> card albeit a bit pricy for consumer level hardware. I've never used it
> with Linux though, so I can't speak to that.

i just got a STAudio (Hoontech) DSP24 MkII for my Windows 2000 machine,
and I'm _really_ impressed with its quality. i'm pretty sure there are
a few users on alsa-devel and linux-audio-dev who are using it (or some
variant of it); Hoontech also sell the DSP24 Value, which is insanely
cheap for a 24/96 card. if it's anywhere near as good as the DSP24
MkII, it'll be the bargain soundcard IMHO.

but yeah, check the alsa-devel and linux-audio-dev lists to see if they
got the card working; i know it has an Envy24 chipset in it.

--
#ozone/algorithm <ozone_AT_algorithm.com.au>          - trust.in.love.to.save