Re: [linux-audio-user] RME hammerfall

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] RME hammerfall
From: Kevin Ernste (kevine88_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Sep 21 2001 - 18:39:04 EEST

Dave,

Go to http://www.rme-audio.com/ .

The Hammerfall 9652 specs include 52 digital channels at
various audio sampling rates, including 96k 24 bit, which
is what interests me. It has very low latency, which is
great if you want to do any real time stuff (jmax, pd,
etc). I have found it to be a rather finnicky card, even
with native drivers under windoze (see the RME page for
details on recommmened motherboards), but once you work out
the kinks it is very powerful, usable for pro audio in most
settings (there is also a PCMIA version for laptop
usage...eventually, I will be using one for portable
harddisk recordings).

Bear in mind that full support under Linux is not yet
"perfect" (can anyone please prove me wrong and tell me how
they set things up?). There are ALSA drivers available,
but as others have concurred, ALSA is still in development
on many levels.

Kevin