Re: [linux-audio-user] Little apps.

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Little apps.
From: Kai Vehmanen (kai.vehmanen_AT_wakkanet.fi)
Date: Sun Sep 23 2001 - 01:29:26 EEST

On Sat, 22 Sep 2001, Linium wrote:

>> But a non-geek will never begin with ardour , bc2000 or ecasound...
> Ecasound could be a good candidate as a dsp engine (there is even a ladspa
> support) to realize a small (and even a big) multitrack recorder.
[...]
> You can learn tcl/tk or may be there are some visual programming language to
> build an interface that would call ecasound for the dsp tasks ??
[...]
> I don't know if there are some people interested by such project here ?

Actually there are quite a few small utils that use this approach.
Take a look at the 'Project list' page at http://eca.cx . To mention a
few, we have:

- heteca
        - a simple multitrack recorder written in python
            with Gtk and ncurses UIs
- eco
        - a similar app written in perl with a tk gui
- ecaenveloptor
        - graphical envelope editor for ecasound effects
        - written in python with a nice Gtk GUI

... lots of small utils have been mentioned on ecasound's mailing list.
Writing these frontends is quite easy nowadays as ecasound offers the ECI
API (ecasound control interface). It provides a small, stable interface,
with implementations for C, C++, python and now also perl. You can
find the API documentation at:

http://www.wakkanet.fi/~kaiv/ecasound/Documentation/programmers_guide/eci_doc.html

--
 http://www.eca.cx