Re: [linux-audio-user] Sound cards?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Sound cards?
From: dave willis (dubson_AT_dhammanet.net)
Date: Sun Sep 30 2001 - 11:08:14 EEST

James Mansion wrote:
> Does anyone know of a reasonably cost-effective way to send and
> receive multiple SPDIF streams?

depends on what you mean by "reasonably cost-effective."

> All thecards I've found seem to have one in and one out. I can live
> with one input (though two would be much better) but two outputs would
> be very handy. Given two outputs, I could do without analog outputs,
> since I'll use external DACs.

what exactly are you trying to do? probably the most "reasonably
cost-effective" way to send multiple channels of digital audio is
using adat (maybe even tdif, but i don't know much about it- m-audio has
a delta-series tdif card for about $300).

if you really must use spdif, you can link up to 4 m-audio delta cards
together in one computer. i bought a delta audiophile 2496 for (us) $175
- it's a simple pro card with 2-channel analog in/out and spdif in/out,
and any signal (including software) can be routed anywhere else.

On Sat, 29 Sep 2001, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
> the sblive platinum has toslink i/o and spdif i/o, plus spdif o on the
> rear.

it might have two spdif connections for ease-of-use, but i believe only
one signal can be output (based on the specs on the web site).

-dave