Re: [linux-audio-user] Digital CD Player for Linux

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Digital CD Player for Linux
From: Daniel James (daniel_AT_mondodesigno.com)
Date: Mon Oct 22 2001 - 17:18:08 EEST

> > Does any software exist to play back CDs using digital audio
> > extraction (like the windows media player) using the IDE data
> > cable and the DAC built into the sound card?

I wonder if this has more to do with extracting digital rights
management data than audio quality. Most people listen to CD's on
their computer with cheap and nasty plastic speakers, so I can't
imagine them noticing the difference caused by a 'superior' DAC on
the sound card. Also, using your CPU to rip audio data in real time
just for playback is a massive waste of resources.

Daniel