Re: [linux-audio-user] Digital CD Player for Linux

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Digital CD Player for Linux
From: Jason (hormonex_AT_yankthechain.com)
Date: Tue Oct 23 2001 - 14:23:39 EEST

On Tue, 23 Oct 2001, Daniel James wrote:
> > I listen to my PC thru a marantz receiver with energy speakers,
> > thank you.
>
> I did say *most* people. We were talking about a feature of Windows,
> after all.
>
> I can see why someone might (in theory) want to use the DAC on a
> soundcard for analogue outputs to an amplifier, but an audiophile
> would never be happy with the background fan noise and quality of the
> CD transport.
>
> As for having plenty of spare CPU cycles for the task, whose fault is
> it that people think they need a 1Ghz machine to type email and
> listen to CDs?
Have you run Outlook 2000? 1Ghz can barely take the job on.

Seriously though, my reason for responding to this was to point out that
most worth while soundcards are going to have the DAC's separated from the
machine, and therefore using the cards converters would have a sonic
advantage over the built in one in the rom drive in that regard.

--
YankTheChain.com - You can pretend we're not here. That's what I do.

,